Introducing the youngest and the most talented star on the Hollywood planet- Xochitl Gomez. She belongs to Mexican and American Ancestry. But a well-known American actress made her place in the Hollywood industry with small steps at an early age, firstly in the field of music, then commercials, and after that in an acting career.
Her name made her skyrocket after her portrayal in the T.V. series The Baby-Sitters Club and the movie Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Nevertheless, she is still rising to touch the sky. Not stop here; meet her here to know her initial journey and will know about her future plans.
|D.O.B||April 29, 2006|
|Place of birth||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Height||5′ 4¼” (1.63 m)|
|Net Worth||$1 Million|
Who is Xochitl Gomez?
Xochitl Gomez, an American actress, belongs to Los Angeles, California. She started her career at 5 when she attended a musical theatre class. She appears in 22 full-length musicals. Her acting career started with commercials, film work, and T.V. roles.
Her well-known work was the role of Dawn Schafer in a Netflix reboot of The Baby-Sitters Club and the role of Marvel superhero America Chavez for the film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
Nevertheless, she didn’t see her world reflected in the media she consumed. In 2022, she told Teen Vogue, “I grew up rarely seeing girls on-screen that looked like me or shared my culture.”
Gomez lived in Hollywood till the age of 5. After then, she moved to the Echo Park section of L.A. Her parents’ descent belonged to Mexicans; her father is from Morelos, Mexico, while her mother is from Los Angeles—and spoke Spanish at home.
The name, Xochitl, means “flower” in Nahuatl. However, her name Xochitl is pronounced: “Soh-Chee.”
At 5, Xochitl started performing in youth musical theatre productions. Till 10, she appeared in commercials and minor television parts. By the time she was 12, Gomez had been in 22 full-length musicals. She received her acting experience by performing in L.A. local short films.
That’s when she led to gain the accolade of Best Young Actress. Her early credits also consist of roughly 13 student films. In 2018, all these credits and awards made her lead for the selection.
However, she also took classes at the Sundance Institute’s Directors Lab, where Xochitl was coached by none other than Anthony Mackie, known as The Falcon/Sam Wilson.
Xochitl Gomez Appearances in T.V. Series & Movies
Gomez was 14 while filming, the same age as the character she was playing. She held her own in scenes with stars like Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen, and Benedict Wong.
After then, in August 2020, Xochitl was honored to be included in Variety magazine’s Power Of Young Hollywood subject for her exceptional act on The Baby-sitter’s Club.
Gomez said of her mother, “My mom would drive me around L.A. for hours every day after school, taking me to auditions. Sometimes we would have like four or five a day; it was crazy,” who was very supportive of her acting. As Gomez became busier, her mother left her job to be more available for her daughter.
After getting the role of America Chavez in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022), she made her career’s turning point. She became the first Mexican-American teenager to play a superhero in the Marvel cinematic universe.
Gomez told People en Español that she was enchanted to represent the character. “She is an influential, elegant, alluring, queer Latina. The fact that she is on the screen and important to the story will make people feel seen in a way they have never been. I am waiting for this kind of representation to be normal.”
Gomez left the only obstacle to the role in the second season of The Baby-Sitters Club. The reason is that the series is shooting in Canada, and she is filming in England during the COVID-19 pandemic. So it was not possible to fly between the two countries. Gomez can be seen dancing on TikTok and Instagram.
Filmography & TV Series
- In the beginning, she performed in The Little Mermaid. She said, “I extremely loved being on stage.”
- In 2018, Gomez appeared as a school journalist in Raven’s Home television series.
- In 2019, she was also portrayed in You’re the Worst in the role of Eclipse kid.
- In 2019, Gomez played Dawn Schafer in the lead role of “The Baby-Sitters Club on Netflix’s reboot.”
- In 2019, she also played a role in the movie Shadow Wolves.
- She was excited that the character’s background was changed to make the show more miscellaneous. In a 2020 interview, she shared, “Latina girls tell me that they finally see someone who looks like them on T.V. and that it means so much.”
- In February 2020, at the age of 13, Gomez auditioned for an upcoming Marvel project though she felt she was doubtful of getting the role because the character was 18. At her second audition six months later, Gomez knew that the character had been made younger and thought she now set a better opportunity to get the role. Gomez geared up for the second audition by adding kickboxing and stunt training to a workout schedule that already included martial arts.
- She shared with Entertainment Weekly that she did this “so that if I potentially got a test audition, I could blow their minds.”
- In 2020, Gomez also appeared on Netflix Gentefield and the romantic movie Roped.
- In 2021, she was portrayed as Francis in the short film Boob Sweat.
She won the Young Artist Award in the category of Supporting Teen Artist in 2020.
In 2020, she shared her view that; she wants to continue working in the entertainment industry. “I want to achieve directing, writing, editing, and acting on a film or T.V. I know I have to start now, writing tiny movies and start on that.”
In 2022, she reveals her aims. “I’ve been thinking about what all the other Marvel actors have done, like indie movies and large-stage movies. I’m thinking about following in their footsteps, but I do have some ideas for music videos I’d like to shoot for artists I like just because many of the directors I like started in music videos. So, that seems like a good way to start. Also, just through TikTok, I’m like directing my dance videos and montages. I find so much joy in that.”
Xochitl Gomez Social Media Controversy
The movie The Multiverse of Madness became controversial when Chavez’s two mothers appeared in one scene. Consequently, the film was banned in countries like China and Saudi Arabia.
However, Gomez was happy that the scene was not cut. Though her connection to the content led to online wrath, her TikTok account was temporarily banned. Afterward, Gomez shared, “I got my TikTok back, and I posted a TikTok because I know that I have a very strong young following.”
Further, she said,” So I thought it was only right to post a TikTok of [me saying] nothing can break me down; I’m going to stay strong, keep going because young teenagers need to have a positive person to look up to.”
Gomez also marched in hold up of the Black Lives Matter movement and at the 2017 Women’s March.